Heritage Beacon Writer’s Guidelines
Novels should be 60,000 to 90,000 words. Before we review your completed manuscript, please send us a proposal. Your proposal must include:
- A brief (1 paragraph) summary of the novel
- A 2–3 page synopsis, including how the plot is resolved
- Three (3) sample chapters
- A detailed marketing plan
- Author bio, including publishing history
Keep in mind:
- Stories may be set in any era up through and including 1959. Anything set in 1960 or later will be considered contemporary.
- Stories may be set in the United State or abroad.
- Characters should be real in the sense that they are flawed. We are not interested in portraying perfect people since no such creature exists now or has ever existed. Principal characters should ultimately become better people through their struggles.
- We understand that history is filled with violent episodes and we don’t intend to shy away from the realities of life in this world. However, while the portrayal of violence is acceptable, it should be neither graphic nor gratuitous.
- We do not consider manuscripts that fall under the genres of Amish or Western.
- We prefer stand-alones but will consider series from previously published authors.
Please submit proposals in a single Word document (.doc or .docx) and e-mail as an attachment to:
Heritage Beacon, Imprint of LPC
If you need help with your Historical fiction proposal, or any other manuscript submission, contact Denise.